Sunday, December 02, 2012

Hate speech against homeschoolers

Peter Baklinski, "CBC trashes homeschooling mothers as incompetent, uneducated, and sexually irresponsible" (LifeSiteNews.com, November 29, 2012):
TORONTO, November 29, 2012, (LifeSiteNews.com) – Homeschoolers are incensed after Anna Maria Tremonti, host of CBC’s The Current, decided to air what she called the “last word” on her show discussing homeschooling.

Following her November 14 show, a two minute skit cast homeschooling mothers as incompetent, uneducated, and sexually irresponsible.

The home-schooled teenage male—who was cast as unchallenged, resentful, rebellious, and delinquent—suggested at one point that he would rather not have been created than homeschooled.

“OK, so I’m supposed to learn geometry from a lady who never graduated college and wasn’t smart enough to use condoms?” rants the teenager in the skit.
Tremonti also reportedly badgered a homeschool spokesperson over homosexuality.

Oh, I get it. The secular state-run schools have done such a stellar job, so that home schoolers are supposed to feel deprived and improverished? Let me see . . . John Stewart Mill was home schooled and read the Latin classics as a lad. Blaise Pascal was home schooled and discovered the Pythagorean Theorem on his own as a youngster.

Or is it that they can't abide the thought of kids being trained to actually use their brains to think for themselves instead of marching in lock step formation with their state-imposed totalitarian indoctrination programs?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

"The home-schooled teenage male... suggested at one point that he would rather not have been created than homeschooled."

This is a trivial statement since most, I think, would prefer the same for most teenage males. They are an annoying lot, good mostly for raising one's car insurance premium and bankrolling clearasil.
Victor

Pertinacious Papist said...

Ah, that shockingly refreshing breath of fresh air from my sardonic friend. He must indeed be having an exceptionally salubrious day. But of course, I quite agree.

JM said...

Reminds me of this exchange:

STUDENT: "I have learned nothing in this class!"

TEACHER: "I agree."

...crickets...

Scott W, said...

Here is the skit FYI: http://youtu.be/sIR15xDOjSE

I can usually appreciate good satire and humor even if it is at my expense, but I'm having a hard time believing even people against homeschooling would find it funny.

Scott W. said...

P.S. Here is a link to the broadcast: http://www.cbc.ca/thecurrent/popupaudio.html?clipIds=2304531173


The liberals of course were full of obfuscating nonsense, but I must admit I found the pro-homeschooler Paul Faris to be annoyingly evasive at the beginning.

Chris said...

I haven't read the piece -- and don't have time at the moment -- but is it possible that the teenager was being obtuse on purpose, in the same way that a friend of mine was when, seeing his three children, a total stranger asked him if he was planning still MORE? He replied, as I understand the story, "Why, of course, since I don't have all the genders covered yet!" He was in San Francisco.

Pertinacious Papist said...

Four out of five of my kids were home schooled, the oldest all the way through high school, and they took to reading like ducks to water.

c matt said...

The most important parts of my education ocurred outside of the classroom. But then, I went to a Jesuit school.