Monday, June 04, 2007

Carrie Tomko's test of faith

A reader writes to share the following:
Carrie Tomko is a middle-aged lady of great faith who runs a blog entitled "Still Running Off at the Keyboard." It is not a tremendously popular blog, ... but it has been for me a consistently interesting one, though I comment sparingly. Carrie is, like myself, an eternal neophyte, who explores a variety of topics, especially those relating to modernism and the new ecumenism, fearlessly. What she lacks in scholarly temperament, she makes up for in courage and tenacity.

Lately, Carrie has grown more and more depressed about the state of the Roman Catholic Church, which she loves dearly. She has also assumed a large burden of suffering. She has cancer. The episodes she has shared of her battle with it have been truly touching. The Lord has placed a cross of considerable weight upon her shoulders.

Carrie recently published the final entry in her blog, which I include here:
IT'S TIME TO BRING IT TO AN END

I started blogging in 2003 because at the time I believed that things were turning around in the Church, that exposure of the hidden problems would be tantamount to resolving them. More fool I. I am no longer so naive. I no longer believe that exposure will effect change. I no longer believe that this blog serves any purpose at all except to waste thousands more of whatever hours I might have left.

And so, the time has come to say adieu to all of you and to retire to the rocking chair where I can read fluff novels with happy endings and forget I ever defined myself in terms of the Roman Catholic Church.
Obviously, her depression stems in some measure from the ordeal of her disease and the harrowing treatment of it. Still, it is unthinkable that the faith of a good woman should be allowed to slip away in this manner. I would ask everyone who spends time with the Pertinacious Papist to take a few moments to pray for Carrie, and to commiserate with her. Spend a little time on her blog, get to know her, and then leave a comment.

http://www.carrietomko.blogspot.com/

P.S - as of this morning, a more hopeful note has been added. Keep those cards and letters coming, folks.
Update:
  • Note: a parenthetical swipe at Mark Shea has been deleted from the original post, with apologies.
  • "Carrie Tomko" (Man with black hat, June 5, 2007) - for a thoughtful reflection.

No comments: