Wednesday, April 11, 2007

The Venerable Cardinal Newman's cause

A reader recently wrote the following to me, which I reproduce here with his permission:
I've been recently lamenting the fact that Cardinal Newman has not yet been canonized. Surely, it seems, he might someday even be declared Doctor of the Church. But alas his typical English modesty prevents it from being known those miracles for which he has interceded. In a small effort to change this, I have begun praying for a very specific miracle. And what type of miracle should an English saint be known for? The fixing of crooked teeth... of course.

My daughter (nearly 12) is scheduled to be fitted with braces in a few weeks. She has already had a mould made of her mouth in which the deformities of her teeth, crookedness, unevenness, as well as multiple baby teeth that have yet to be pushed out, are clearly shown and objectively recorded.

So my prayer is that her teeth would, by the miraculous intercession of Cardinal Newman, be completely straightened so that the need and expense of braces might be avoided. All of the objective facts are in order for an ecclesial investigation, including this email, which documents our intercession before any discovery of the straightened teeth. And since it is a relatively small miracle, it is perhaps one
for which the venerable (and typically English) Cardinal wouldn't mind taking credit. Moreover, it would declare to the world that God indeed has a sense of humor.

Should this miracle occur, I've promised to donate my expected cost for the braces (~$2000) to some worthy Catholic cause, in addition to my regular planned giving. So there's nothing "in it" for me.
Anyone care to join in this worthy endeavor? Your prayer intentions would be much appreciated.

[Gratia tibi S.N.]

No comments: