Saturday, March 24, 2007

Gone to Iowa

I will be taking a leave of absence from Blogville for the next few days as my family drives to Iowa to celebrate my father's 90th birthday and my stepmother's 85th birthday, several days apart.

My father was delighted to announce a few months ago that he successfully renewed his drivers license, but I assure you that the highways are not likely to be more dangerous than they already are: he's a very careful driver, even if he does have a heavy foot. But if you are concerned, just give plenty of berth to any traffic you encounter in the vicinity of Iowa City if you're ever in that area.

As to the heavy foot, I think it must run in the family. There is a story about one of our great great (I don't know how many "greats") grandfathers, named Abraham, who lived in Ohio. He was fond, it is said, of driving his horses and carriage out of the church parking lot after services at break-neck speed and letting the horses gallop at full throttle until they had run themselves exhausted.

Ah, well. Iowa City is about 1000 miles and we do it in a single day. Please pray for our safety as we undertake this expedition once again as we just did at Christmas. We expect to be back late Wednesday evening (Marc 28th).

No comments: